The former Madathumala has taken this new name, Ranipuram recently. Lying 780 meters above the sea level, it is 80 kms away from Kasargod which is 48 kms east of Kanhangad. The natural beauty of this place is comparable only to Ooty.
The D.T.P.C. has selected Ranipuram as an ancillary project as part of developing Bekal Fort and its surroundings as one of the most important tourist centers of the district. The climate of Ranipuram is salubrious. Though wild elephants are roaming about regularly, this place is very tranquil. Water is available even at the top of the mountain and on its sides also. This place is strikingly beautiful and it would attract tourists and other visitors. Two cottages have been constructed for the tourists. Ten to 15 persons could be accommodated here.
It is situated 15 kms away from Kasargod in the northeastern direction. It is in an isolated place. The temple, which is surrounded on all sides by water, would appears as if it is made out breaking a huge rock. A bridge connects the temple premises and the main temple. The idol installed in the temple is that of Anantha Padmanabha Swami.
There is a crocodile in the pond. It is said that this crocodile had been living in the pond for the past 40 years. This crocodile is a vegetarian. Nearby the pond there is a cave. Atop the cave there is a Ganapathy temple. Though many tourists come here, there are no development activities going on. D.T..P.C. is thinking of maintaining the temple and its premises.
Kottencheri hills is another place in the district which attracts tourists. It is situated near Konnakkady in Hosdurg taluk. These mountains are full of dense forests, meadows and medicinal plants. It is 3000 feet above the sea level. Beyond the mountain ranges bordering on Karnataka boundary, there is the renowned pilgrim center called, ‘ Talakkaveri’. As the first step of tourism development, the D.T.P.C. is preparing a project for constructing cottages for tourists. The land necessary for this will be acquired soon.
There are two notable asramams in Kanhangad, the Nityanandasramam and Anandasramam. Nityanandasramam is situated on a hillock about half a km south of the Housdurg taluk office. It was founded by swami Nityananda. Here swami Nityananda constructed 45 caves in a mountain slope. There is a temple built in 1963 after the style and design of the famous Somantha temple in Gurjarat. Anandasramam was founded by swamin Ramdas in 1939. it is situated about five kms east of the Kanhangad railway station.
The clean and neat 4 kms beach and swimming pool like lake, half a km long and proportionally broad, formed by sea water is a gift of nature.
Chandragiri lies three kms south of Kasargod town. It has a large square situated high above the Chandragiri river on its southern bank. The fort is said to have been built in the 17th century by Sivappa Nayak of Bednore, who established his authority over the area. There is a beautiful bridge over the Chandragiri river. A long railway tunnel passes through Chandragiri. A boat club has been built recently to attract tourists.
Birth place of Rashtrakavi Govinda Pai. An ancient town with narrow lanes and bylanes on the banks of Manjeswar river. The abode of Jaina kings where the remnants of 2 Jaina temples still attract tourists.
The premier agricultural research institute of the nation. Four kms north of Kasargod town
A rock, rising in the sea about 2 Kms from the Trikkannadu temple, is an ideal spot for adventurous swimmers. The legend has it that a ship of one of the Padiya kings who attacked the Trikkannadu temple was converted into a rock.
The cultural center of the district; it was the seat of Nileswar Rajas who were patrons of art and culture for centuries. In and around Nileswar there are several ‘Kavus’ where nature, God and man commune in serene silence. Major among them is Mannampurathu Kavu where the grand finale of the annual temple festival of the region takes place. Porattu of Anjootambalam Veerar Kavu in Nileswar draws large crowds. Porattu is the satirical representation of every day life presented in pageantry during the ‘pooram’ festivals in the Ajooratambalam Veerar Kavu. A folkore center of the Archeological Department of the State functions in the Palace of Nileswar Rajas. The town is famous for a yoga center which has been flourishing for decades.
It is 5 kms south west of Cheruvathur separated from the main land by backwaters; also a fishing cetntre.
The old seat of Thazhekattu Manna, famous for T.S. Thirumumbu, poet and freedom fighter. Birth place of Guru Ghandu Panikkar, the famous Kathakali artist.
45 Kms east of Kasaragod town; it is famous for the ancient Siva temple. The adjacent forest knows as Kaviankanam not frequented by men is considered the abode of Lord Siva and his divine consort. The stream down below the valley is nature’s bounty.
A hill 1060 ft above sea level, 30 kms north east of Kasaragod. Ideal tourist resort.
The only one Muchilottu Kavu, north of Chandragiri is situated in the vicinity of Anathapuram.
Our Lady of Sorrows church, oldest in the district and constructed in 1890; 15 kms north of Kasaragod.
The place of Kumbla Rajas; 8 kms north east of Kasaragod.
10 Kms north east of Kasaragod. The Mutt of Edneer belongs to the Sankaracharya tradition presently renowned as a seat of art and learning.