Education | Kannur (Cannanore)

In the 14th and 15th centuries, during the regime of the Kolathiri Rajas, Thaliparamba was renowned all over Kerala as a seat of leaning, enlightenment and culture.

In the early days, the Eshuthu pallies under the Ezhuthachan or village school master, provided facilities to pupils to acquire elementary education. After undergoing the preliminary course of study in these institutions, the children were sent to the kalaries for acquiring training in gymnastics and in the use of arms and then they were sent to study Sanskrit in Vedic schools under well trained teachers. This district had in the past, its share of such kalaries and Vedic schools. The art, kalarippayattu, is particularly associated with this district.

The beginning of western education in the district may be traced back to the middle of the 16th century. The first English school,, known as the Basel German Mission English School, was started on 1st March 1856 at Thalassery. The Brennen School at Thalassery, the nucleus of the present Govt. Brennen College, was started in 1862 with the generous donation made by Mr. Brennen, Master Attendant at Thalassery.

Quotable Quotes:

“There is nothing more fatiguing than worrying about an uncompleted task.”