Courtesy : Miss. Usha
The tourist spots in Mavelikkara follows.
1.The Budha Statue
The statues is in seated posture, resembling Padmasana. A feature common to the idols is that hair has not been engraved on the head. Studies by the Archaeology Department have not been able to explain the absence of hair which is common in Buddha statues of the Gandhara and Mathura tradition. The head has markings resembling a headgear. Though the department has made a pagoda-like structure for the statue, no information on the idol is available to tourists who visit the area. Local people in the area light lamps before the idol. The idol at Mavelikara is four-foot high and is perhaps, the biggest. The engravings on the head resemble a helmet of Greek statues. The mark of a sacred thread is visible on the body. Another feature is the marking of a shawl on one shoulder. Here the Archaeological Department has put up a board specifying the age of the statue.
Many followers of the theory of Kerala’s genesis by Parasurama firmly believe that he had established 108 Durga temples, 108 Siva temples, numerous Sasthatemples, besides 108 Kalaris (place to learn traditional martial arts in front of the deity), Sakthi Kendras etc. Besides he had established five Ambalayas. Jagadambika of Chettikulangara, the Goddess of Oodanadu, is among the five Ambalayams. Though enough historical evidences and authentic study materials are not available to support, it is believed that this temple dates back to more than1200 years. This is the second largest temple under Travancore devaswom board, next to sabarimala.
3.Kandiyoor Mahadeva Temple
One among the Mahakshetras of kerala, is the oldest historical evidence of the rich heritage of Mavelikara. This is also known as Dakshina Kashi. There are 108 famous Siva temples all over the world. Kandiyoor temple is one among them. Saint Mrikandu, the father and guru of famous Markandeya, got a beautiful idol of Kiratha Moorthy, while taking abath in the holy river ,the Ganges. He heard a divine voice (Assariri), that the idol must be laid in a very holy and suitable place. The saint traveled far and wide and reached Kandiyoor, which he realized as the apt place (Kandathil nallathe Kandayoor). Thus the temple was established. From Kandayoor it became Kandiyoor. This is the legend of the temple.
Saradamandiram is a house built by Keralapanini AR Rajarajavarma near Sree Krishna swamy temple at Mavelikara. He spent his latter part of life there.On 1918 june 18, one of the greatest lovers of Kerala passed away. Kerala government acquired Saradamandiram and preserves it as a memorial. Famous as KERALA PANINI, A.R was bourn on feb 20,1863. He is the first grammarian of Malayalam and one of the best critics. He was instrumental in bringing about drastic changes in the educational scenario by revising the syllabus and reforming the KUDIPPALLIKKOODAM style. He himself prepared text books to overcome the shortage .He was a reputed professor. His close disciples includes SAHITYA PANCHANAN P.K. NARAYANA PILLAI and SWADESABHIMANI K. RAMAKRISHNA PILLAI.
AR is the first ever Indian principal of The Maharajas college( now University college ) at Thiruvananthapuram. He is the man who visualised a university uniquely for Kerala. Rajaraja varma actively lead the reformist group in the PRASAVADHA-which revitalised the craft and soul of Malayalam poetry. MALAYAVILASAM written by AR is an absolute example of his talent as a poet. By writing several introduction to renowned poetical works, he proved himself as the pioneer of the modern critical approach in Malayalam literature.
5.Arch Bishop Mar Ivanious’s Residence
Born on September 21 ,1882 at the Panikkaru veettil in puthiyakavu. Formerly known as P.T.Varghese ,he joined the M.D. Seminary at Kottayam. On 1899 January 18, he was converted into a brother by Pulikkottil Mar Divannasiose. In 1908 he became a priest .He also became the first priest with M.A.degree.He visited the Ramakrishna Ashram at Serampur and understood the essence of Ramayana and Bagawad Gita. He was attracted by the Indian tradition of the Sanyasis. In 1920, he accepted Sanyas .He was the anchor man in reforming the Christian priesthood by using the scepter and the Holy cross made of wood. In 1925 he became The Bishop. He founded the Bethany movement. He gave due role to women in the movement. He died on July 15, 1953.
“Your success will depend on your attitude to life.”