Tellicherry (Thalassery) lies between Mahe and Kannur on the National highway 17. It can be termed as the commercial capital of Kannur district. Thalassery is probably a more important commercial centre than the district head-quarters itself. Along the coast, next to Mahe, it’s a pleasant, unhurried place.
Town was built in 1683 by the British for the pepper and cardamom trade and was their first settlement on the Malabar Coast. A fort was built there in 1708 and was attacked unsuccessfully by the Indian ruler and military commander Hyder Ali of Mysore in 1781. Tellicherry is still a major port for the export of pepper, coffee, sandalwood, and coconuts. It has a thriving furniture industry as well as coffee-curing, rope- and mat-making, and other industries. Government Brennen College is a famous educational institution.
Highlights of the town.
- Herman Gundert, the German Missionary, wrote the 1st Malayalam Dictionary when he was residing in Tellicherry.
- Tellicherry is very famous for Circus.
- Chandumenon, who wrote Malayalam’s first Novel “Indulekha” was a son of Tellicherry.
- –NTTF (Nettur Technical Training Foundation) – one of the premier institutions spread all over India, which produces the best Tool room personnel, was founded by Rev. Karunakaran in the year 1961, in Tellicherry, with the patronage of Swiss Missionaries. The institute is situated on the road to Anjarakandy.
- Dharmadam Island is a small island full of coconut palms and green bush extending to 5 acres, 100 meters away from main land at Dharmadam. The island (private land) is a beautiful sight from the Beach.
“Take full responsibility for all your decisions- never look for excuses.”