I am writing this article not to degrade the airport at my home town but to expose and if possible rectify the draw backs that exist. You yourself can check it out and confirm for yourself and if any person in power gets to read this i would be extremely grateful to you if you could please help us out.
1) The Calicut-Sharjah and return flight is very often seen to be cancelled or delayed -the reason being there are only 3 aircrafts of this type with the airline and all of them being more than 20 years old get sick often. Does the airline know the difficulty faced by the people when their visa get expired and, or when they face disciplinary action for they delay in reporting for duty.
2) Whenever there is a delay of a flight, unlike other airports there would be no announcement till, well past the departure time, and it would be just impossible to find an airline / airport staff to enquire about the flight status,( they keep themselves away to avoid answering the passengers )and the security men would never let the passenger out to contact the airport staff.
3) The so called Budget airline is for the poor man. But the cheap tickets you get are those bought first-well in advance. Executives can plan their tour well in advance, but what about the poor labourer whose boss gives him permission to go on leave just a few days or just a few hours in advance. Whom does this budget airline benefit-the well off or the poor?
4) The charge for luggage in our budget airline when compared to the other airline is abnormally high. whom does it benifit- a frequent flying executive or a labourer come home after 2-3 years slogging in the gulf.
5) During peak seasons especially in the gulf sector there is heavy rush and the airlines rake in more currency, inspite of that our government owned airline increases the fare with utter disregard, contrary to reducing the fare and increaing the number of flights and helping the people.
5) Lastly why not give permission to other airlines, if the fare is low lets us that and save on our hard earned money.
Editor’s Note: Latest development is that state Govt is doing their bit to help destroy the growth of Calicut airport. They have recently informed the Airport Authority of India that government cannot acquire additional land for the development of the airport which Airport Authority of India requested. This will clip the wings of the international airport Calicut.
The Airport Authority of India has demanded 162 acres of land on the southern side of the runway, for developing parking space for 30 aircrafts, constructing a new terminal and car parking facility. AAI has already prepared projects worth Rs 300 crore for these schemes. Govt. of Kerala duly denies any help in this regard.
Thanks, email: akpradeepkumar(at)rediffmail.com